Saturday, April 16, 2011

To My First Born on her Birthday

Dear Payton,

Five years ago today, on the best day of my life, you made me a mom. To this day, I am so proud to be your mom and I have loved every minute I've spent watching you learn, grow, and become the person you are now.

At five years old, you have an amazing enthusiasm and joy for life. You love numbers, counting anything and everything, and telling me how many days, hours, or minutes until some upcoming event. You enjoy playing games, doing puzzles, and creating things out of whatever materials you can find. Your latest castle of plastic cups, paper plates and saran wrap was pretty amazing! You still love dinosaurs, reptiles, and lots of other creepy crawly creatures that I could do without. You enjoy drawing and are beginning to shine as my little artist. I think your drawings are quite exceptional and realistic for your age,

Last summer we put you in swimming lessons with not much hope because you were adamant about not wanting to learn to swim and you told me that you would never put your face underwater. By the end of the summer, you did learn to swim. This spring you have really blossomed into a full on fish. You love to swim and jump right in! You recently moved up to the second level in swimming lessons and I'm very proud that you conquered your fears of the water and have found another activity that you love.

In school, at the park, or almost anywhere we go, you can find a friend and have a great time. You love school and interacting with your peers. Missing one day of preschool, when you were sick, was absolutely devastating to you. I'm  feeling a little sad that we are just a few short months away from the start of kindergarten. I know you are very ready for kindergarten. I have no doubt that you will excel and continue to love school, but it will be hard for me to send my first baby off to school five day a week! I will miss the freedom we have had to go on adventures, get together with friends, or just have a lazy day at home.

I am also very amazed at how much you have matured emotionally. Recently, I have seen your sympathy for others, including your sister, really grow. You are sharing better, you strive to problem solve and work out conflict, and you want others to be happy. Seeing this really pleases me, because more than anything, I want you to grow up to be a kind and loving person.

Payton, I can't wait to experience more milestones with you. You are a beautiful, talented and unique person. From the day you were born, I knew there was nothing more important to me than doing my best for you. Being a mom to you and Ella has challenged me, changed me, and been the most rewarding part of my life. I love you more than words could ever describe. Happy 5th Birthday!

Love,
Mom


Halloween: 6 months old

Bath time: 18 months old


Christmas: 2 years old


Disneyland: 3 years old


Swimming: 3.5 years

Climbing at the Park

Maui Trip:  Almost 4 years old

Feeding the birds at Discovery Kingdom: 4 years old

No comments:

Post a Comment